Because I'm in a year-long class with renowned calligrapher Reggie Ezell, I have been practicing the basic Blackletter hand as well as a few variations. I decided it would be good to incorporate these into my Valentine project this year, and I can also use this as homework to bring to our next class. These are a few of the finished ones.
These were quite a challenge to make, and I must admit that I kept only about a dozen of the over 30 that I made. One of my biggest mistakes was to forget the "g" in extravagantly, so the word read "extravantly" on many of them! The white is Dr Martin's bleedproof white ink, and the red (which is a bit hard to make out) is Windsor & Newton gouache. I mounted them on red cardstock and embellished them with ribbon, hand-painted paper hearts and hot foil dots.
You might remember that I did these last year. They seem to have been easier, but perhaps I wasn't as worried about having good letterforms as I was this year!
I think it was the year before that I made actual Valentine cards using Zentangle hearts. It's fun to see the various projects that I have given as Valentines over the years.