Monday, January 25, 2010

Enjoying the process

When I was journaling this morning, it hit me that I have been so focused on product, that I haven't taken the time to be in the moment in my life (or my art). Especially now, when I'm learning and trying so many new techniques in Photoshop -- I find myself rushing to get to the finished product. Take the above photo for example. See those ugly blue scribbles around the flowers? The tutorial I was following suggested that adding some artistic lines might enhance the picture. So I eagerly scribbled like a first grader anxious to get to the next step. The result -- the blue lines ruin the whole thing!

I can rework the picture, but it's going to take awhile to live into this attitude in my life. I'm so glad that God doesn't just rush us through a bunch of steps in our lives -- pushing us to accomplish more, to produce more. I'm pretty sure God wouldn't scribble ugly blue lines on me just to get me closer to the "end product". Instead, the Master Artist of my life loves the process, loves the way I am right now, and enjoys each brush stroke. I'm a long way from living this, but maybe this picture will remind me to relish the beauty of each moment.

2 comments:

  1. Amen! Very excellent analogy. Although I have to say that at first glance, I kind of liked the blue lines. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have this same "problem" although I REALLY like the blue scribbles. I think they make the photo.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!