Sunday, January 17, 2010

Hoarfrost

This morning I awoke to a foggy, gray, dreary day. Until I looked closer. The frost had frozen on the trees and vegetation in lacy, delicate, beautiful patterns. I just had to grab my camera and run out in the yard. It reminds me of a chapter in a book I am reading by Annie Dillard. The chapter is about "seeing", and how impoverished we are when we don't take the time to treasure the beauty that is all around us. It was certainly beautiful this morning -- even in the middle of my least favorite season!

Thanks, God, for this treasure and opening my eyes to see it!

3 comments:

  1. wow! Doesn't God do a great job on winter scenes? Amazing... I just wish we could have the beauty in warmer weather. I'm in Calgary, Alberta but we lived in Deerfield, IL for 2 years in the 80's when my hubby was taking his master's degree. With the humidity it can be awfully cold. Stay warm and we'll see you on DJ's course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl -- Thanks for your comment. Sadly, I would take warmth over glimpses of this kind of beauty any time. I practically froze my fingers off trying to get some good pics. :-) I graduated from Trinity College in the late 70's, so I know Deerfield well!

    See you in class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing, really, that if we just open our eyes (and hearts and minds) we would "see" all the wonders that God has for us in His creation. Thanks for the reminder.

    P.S. I love reading Annie Dillard, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!