Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Connection over the week-end

If you have been following my posts, you know that my word for 2011 is "connection".  I met with my spiritual director a few days ago and she helped me hone in a little more on what that might look like in my daily life.  One aspect is connecting with God even when things aren't going the way I want them to.  Looking for God's "fingerprints" in my life, and trying to see how I can bless others in the moment.

I had a chance to practice that over the week-end.  I accompanied my husband and several of his family members to visit his sister, who is very ill (terminal).  As much as I wanted to support his family, it meant 9 hours in the car in one day, and that on top of my first full week of a new job -- I just wanted to spend time at home.  But I went with "connection" on my heart and a desire to watch for God's blessings in unexpected places.

The scenery was actually pretty, and the driving conditions were good.  I had a chance to play with some iphone apps and came up with the following pictures:


Between playing with my phone, reading and knitting, it was a relaxing and fun trip.  (My husband and his brother were talking over old times, having not seen each other in over 10 years.)  I was glad for the opportunity to look for and find evidence of God's presence, even on an arduous car trip. 

At his sister's house, things were even better than we imagined.  His sister rallied, and got out of bed and seemed to enjoy all the company.  I fully expected to be relegated to a hallway while the brothers and sisters went in one or two at a time.  She seemed truly blessed to see all of us (even me!)  And her son was there with his very nice (understatement!) camera.  He showed me some of the bells and whistles and even let me play with it. 

Although it was a very long day, and we arrived home exhausted, it was a day of connection!  I'm glad I showed up with that mindset.  It made a difference.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it wonderful when God surprises us with blessings when we have been obedient......I am so glad you had connection with family as I know sometimes that doesn't happen even when we try hard.....

    I love the pictures you took and the changes you made in them....

    What are you knitting? I just started my second eternity scarf.....they are fun and fast to knit...

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!