Friday, February 7, 2014

Home made Granola

Once again, the outside temperature is below zero.  Since I had some time this morning, I decided to make granola.  It's a great way to warm up the kitchen and make the whole house smell homey!  Here's the ingredients for one batch (I usually make 1 1/2 batches at a time):
3 Cups Rolled Oats
1 Cup raw Pumpkin Seeds
1 Cup raw Sunflower Seeds
1 Cup shredded Coconut
1 1/4 Cups chopped Pecans
1/2 Cup packed light Brown Sugar
1 tsp Kosher Salt
3/4 Cup Maple Syrup
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
Dried Fruit

 As you may be able to see from the ingredients above, I made some changes.  I didn't have any coconut or pecans, so I added some Walnuts and about 3/4 Cup of Wheat Germ.  I also added 1 tsp of Vanilla to my liquid ingredients.  After combining all the dry ingredients in a bowl (except for the dried cranberries), I heated the maple syrup and olive oil in a measuring cup in the microwave to warm them a bit.  Then I added the vanilla and stirred the liquid ingredients into the dry.
 The baking is the most time consuming part because it takes about an hour.  Preheat the oven to 300 degrees, and spread the granola mixture evenly onto two rimmed cookie sheets.  Bake for about an hour, stirring every 15 to 20 minutes until granola is golden brown.
 Stir occasionally as it cools, and add the dried fruit.  Pour into a bowl and enjoy!  (Or just munch on it!)
 While it was baking, I decided to take some more photos of the flowers I bought last week.  They are still lovely!

Finally, for my February spiritual discipline, I am coming up with a six word touchstone for each day, based on my quiet time reading in the morning.  In a previous blog post, I shared the first three days.  Here are the latest:
February 4:  I'm so full of answered prayer!  (from Psalm 13:6)
February 5:  God of Angel Armies protects us (Psalm 46:3)
February 6:  Learn the unforced rhythms of grace (Matthew 11:29)
February 7:  Start with where you are now (from Romans 8:28)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!