Monday, June 28, 2010

A New (Bird) House!


Saturday there was a Gardener's Art Festival at The Growing Place, a wonderful garden center in Naperville.  I first heard about it Saturday morning, and wasn't sure it would be worth my time.  The air conditioned house was a tempting place to stay, but summer is all about hot weather and new adventures.  I'm so glad I went!  I heard two very entertaining speakers talk about attracting birds and the evolution of a backyard garden.  Not only was it interesting, I learned a few things too! 

I also had time to check out the artists' booths.  There were some really lovely things, but I was especially drawn to the booth where I bought the above little bird house.  Bob Knisley is from central Illinois, and he and his wife were sitting, surrounded by variations of houses like this.  Some were much more elaborate, but I chose a simple (read -- cheap!) one.  When his father's old barn fell down, Bob decided to re-purpose the wood -- with the original paint --  into lovely birdhouses.  What a great idea, and I couldn't resist bringing one home to grace our little bird sanctuary.  It will be interesting to see if any birds use it this season -- I think it might be a little late.  In case you want to contact Bob about his bird houses, his e-mail is Knisley4@hotmail.com.

Speaking of hot weather . . . it's off to the pool!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!